Causes Worth Supporting: Athena's Warehouse

Tuesday, January 14, 2014


Last month during my Shopping for Good project, I introduced you all to Athena's Warehouse in Atlanta. Today we're going to get to know them so much better with Law of Bambi's first interview! Without any further adieu, let's get right to it! I asked Bee, the founder and Managing Director of Athena's Warehouse 10 questions and these were her answers:



The beautiful and amazing Bee!


1. How did the idea for Athena's Warehouse come about?
Originally AW started out as an organization with just a simple idea; we wanted to recycle our bridesmaids and cocktail gowns and provide teenage girls with an opportunity to go to prom without worrying about the financial aspect. Other organizations similar to ours already existed. But we wanted our program to have a twist. Instead of a princess or a fairy tale, we wanted to embrace the concept of empowerment. So, we chose Athena as our icon and asked the girls to complete three hours of service to earn a dress.

                                                                           


2. What would you like to see AW accomplish? 
AW has expanded quite a bit since we first started. As we spent time with the girls doing community service and helping them choose a dress, we found that they were very curious and wanted guidance about college, dating, and other important aspects of their lives. So, we added an after school program called Be Awesome, Be Aware. We teach life skills that encourage graduation and college, and we provide resources that help achieve economic independence.  
Currently, we are working with junior and senior girls, but our vision is to start reaching young women at an earlier age—when they are entering high school as freshmen and staying with them until they graduate high school. More and more, we realize the importance of positive role models for young women, especially for those who have economic challenges. We see change and we see our influence and impact, so it reinforces our beliefs. We can make a difference.


 

3. What do you think we as a society need more of in our everyday lives? (eg. kindness, laughter, whoopie cushions, etc.) 
Our society needs more vulnerability. As AW works with teenage girls, I am often surprised by the girls' willingness to share their stories and by their openness with each other and to the organization. Many of the girls have stories to tell and their stories are difficult; they are not afraid to shed tears or share with us feelings that are extremely personal. As we grow older, most people learn to put up a wall and become less willing to show vulnerability. We're taught to hide ourselves, or that vulnerability is a weakness. But it is, in fact, the opposite, and though teenage girls can sometimes be hard to work with, they are above all honest about the way they feel and are willing to share it with just a little nudge and a safe space.

4. If there was a 30 day challenge that you could make everyone do - what would it be? [*I'll be doing whatever challenge you say here*] 
As technology has become more readily available, people are becoming more and more addicted to the internet and their cell phones. When I go out to dinner, I notice so many people constantly checking their phones. Their level of engagement and their connection with one another has diminished in the process. I know I have been guilty of looking at my phone instead of the other person's face.
So, my challenge to you is to leave your cell phone in your car or in your purse every time you meet a person out for dinner. No checking it even when the person is in the bathroom. I have found that the more detached I am to my cell phone, the more content I feel in general.   
You asked, and you've got it Bee - I'll be leaving my phone in my purse (for safety reasons compared to the car) and not touching it at all when I'm out with someone else for the next 30 days. Since that would finish on February 13th, I'll actually extend it to include Valentine's Day and make it a 31 day challenge! No more Instagrams of date meals or mid-date/hangout Facebook statuses - it's time to tone down the phone and internet binging. I'll post about this 2 weeks in and then at the end of the challenge to share with all of you how it goes and what I learn.

5. What is your (or AW's) life philosophy in 5 sentences or less?
I really believe in the concept of leaving the world in a better place than how we first encountered it. If that means being socially conscious on a large scale or inventing something that changes the way we live or making art or music or photographing the world, then I encourage and embrace it. Other decisions like rescuing an animal or calling your mom every week or standing against racism or bullying are also important ways to better society and create important changes.
I truly couldn't think of a way to say this better than you did, Bee!

6. Who inspires you? 
My family inspires me for their honesty, tenacity, and strength.  I am always inspired by pioneers who are courageous in their will and unafraid of being themselves or working for a greater cause. Some of my heroes are Frida Kahlo, Hillary Clinton, and John Lewis.

7. What helps brighten a bad day for you (or AW)?
Fresh air and exercise!  I love Atlanta, so being outdoors in the city is important to me.  It can take form of a run on Freedom Parkway, a bike ride on the BeltLine, the dog park at Piedmont, or Stone Mountain.


8. How does AW find and decide on projects to coordinate with? (Headbands of Hope, etc.)
We collaborate with local organizations that have mission alignment. We've worked with Ahimsa House, Hands On Atlanta, Project Open Hand, MINT Gallery, and the Atlanta BeltLine. We're always open to new ideas and projects.

9. Where is AW headed in 2014?
We're celebrating our five-year anniversary, and we have some exciting changes and additions coming in the new year. We'll be expanding some programs, but also making a few changes to our structure to better serve the community.


10. What is your (or AW's) New Year's resolution?
My resolution is to become less car-dependent. For me, that entails walking to the store and taking MARTA to work and biking more often. I find that by sometimes when I simplify my life, I feel much happier.
Thank you so much to Bee & Athena's Warehouse, as well as my correspondence pal, Kim who helped me to organize all of this from the very first message on Facebook! I am so excited to keep in touch with and follow the future of AW - maybe sometime soon I can come do some volunteer work with you guys! I'm only a mere 6 hours away these days in Gainesville, Florida while I visit my family so I could enjoy a short roadtrip up to visit and do some good with all of you.

I hope all of you enjoyed reading this as much as I enjoyed coordinating it and reading the answers myself. This is truly a beautiful organization and deserves whatever support we can give! Head over to the AW website and Facebook page to find out more on how you can help support and empower these young girls!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi pixel perfect web designs