Causes Worth Supporting: St. Baldrick's Foundation

Monday, December 2, 2013



Earlier this year, I found out about St. Baldrick's Foundation and immediately knew that it was something I needed to support in any way I could. St. Baldrick's collects funds to be used towards children's cancer research to find a cure for all children's cancers. They spend 82% of the money brought in directly on research with only 2% on management and general costs & 16% on fundraising, you can read directly about their financials here. St. Baldrick's raise their funds through volunteer run fundraisers where people such as I volunteer to be Shavees and promise to shave their heads in support and solidarity with all of the children going through cancer treatments.


You can now fundraise for St. Baldrick's in any way you want so it's not limited only to shave events - though it is truly an awesome experience which I'll share with you now!


After reading about how a child is diagnosed worldwide with cancer every 3 minutes, I knew I would never find a better reason to fund-raise and shave my 21 inches of hair. I was nervous how I would look (what girl doesn't think about that for at least a minute or two?), but more so, I was worried about what my sons would think about it (they are just 1 and 2 years old). So I worked really hard, posted regularly on a facebook page, and put up flyers around our neighborhood hoping that someone would help support me. In the end my friends and family raised $785 and I was able to raise and additional $234 at the event from various people who chose to support my shave, bringing my total amount to $1019 raised for Children's Cancer Research! 


Being a Shavee for St. Baldrick's has been one of the most gratifying, inspiring, and beautiful experiences I've ever had. I look forward to being a Shavee again in years to come as well as continuing to support them through other fundraisers now and donations. 

You can donate to St. Baldrick's any time you want here. I would also highly recommend following them on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi pixel perfect web designs