The Law of Bambi: An Introduction

Friday, November 22, 2013

Around six years ago, I used "the Law of Bambi" in conversation with a friend while discussing peoples' general need to remember how to be nice and kind. The Law of Bambi refers to a quote which is specifically said by the little rabbit Thumper, but is inferred to be a sort of family rule in the Rabbit household: "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all." To me it has always meant that we should live our lives in kindness and look to help and serve others when we can.

My mother is an amazing woman who spent her life serving others and doing whatever possible to help those in need around her. I have watched her sacrifice her time with family as well as her own wants and needs, even when everyone around her says it's not her problem to worry about. More than any of the hundreds of lessons and values I have learned from her, she taught me to have a giving heart. Not to look for what you might receive in return for helping, but just to help those who need it simply because you can.

That's what the Law of Bambi is to me. It's realizing how much we so readily do and spend on ourselves and our own interests, when we could give even just a little of that to someone in need. When we think nothing of spending $5 on a cup of coffee or that twice a month manicure, it's time to notice that we have a little extra cash on our hands that would lend mountains of help to someone working to put food on the table, or keep the heat on in winter. There are people everywhere who need a little help making their way, and I believe that if my family is capable, we should help.

This blog is going to cover many things - there are already essays and entries I've written in the past few years on the 'Personal Favorites' tab writing about parenthood and living with gratitude, and I'll also be writing about kindness, positivity, and many causes that I find and believe deserve as much help as we - the vast reaches of the internet - can give them.

Let this be a place where you can come to receive a spoonful of sugar and a reminder to share what your fortune. The more you give, the more you get.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi pixel perfect web designs